Wednesday 15 March 2023

Dancing My Dance (My Keynote speech at the Division F Toastmasters Conference, 2023)

 It was during my senior one when there was a huge dance competition to which I entered. There was a dance which I had been rehearsing and that no matter the song they played, I would dance my dance. And that is how I won. No matter wat tune they played, I knew my dance.

Next week, I will be dancing in Milan, addressing young professionals on the need to integrate art into the corporate space.

Next month, I shall receive an invitation from the UN Secretary General to deliver a keynote address on education and epistemics. Do you know why? It’s because when you know your dance, you will become recognized all over the world.


Preparing the teams for the dance, Uganda Toastmasters Annual Conference, 2023


Receiving an appreciation certificate for my keynote address. Photo by Edgar Batte.







Addressing close to 180 participants at the Division F Toastmasters Uganda Conference, 2023.

Live Science explains that babies learn to dance, even before they learn to speak. They move in rhythm to the music that is around them. When they grow older, they begin to understand what it means to develop their own tune and dance and that is what they call purpose.

Today I stand here content. My cup is brimming. My heart is scintillating with the symphony of a supernova. And that is because I have completed my race here in Toastmasters. From January 2016 when I sat next to Gilbert Rutebemberwa from Kampala Toastmasters Club and paid my membership fee, I determined to experience Toastmasters as purposefully as I possibly could.

That conviction carried the weight of a winner and the burden of brilliance. That conviction led me to stages where I sat and discussed with brilliant minds, while at the same time I was met with treachery and arduous hours pondering over my decision.

One of those decisions was starting Bukoto Toastmasters Club. So much of my personal life was inflicted in this process, and there were days and weeks where I questioned my quest for success.

Some members of Bukoto Toastmasters Club


Serving as the first Ugandan on the District Cabinet as the Public Relations Manager and founding the Sauti ya Toastmasters Newsletter, brought endless joy and with it, ceaseless anguish.

After seven years of navigating this journey, I know that those who lives their lives with purpose, will walk a path that will become unbearable but with confidence, with timeless drive, they shall say with contentment, that this particular journey is over and it’s time for another space.

This is my journey and not yours. This dance is mine and not yours. Some members have been Toastmasters for five years and they are still unsure why they are here. Convincing themselves that the busier they are, the closer their purpose will avail. Busyness does not necessarily equal productivity.

 

To identify why you are here and who you are, it necessitates lessening your activities and not increasing them. Look at the five main competencies from Toastmasters. Public Speaking. Do you still speak while unsure, or are you filled with certitude. Excellent communication influences excellent leadership. Possibly, the reason you are still stuck after five years is because you have not yet mastered this skill. Or, after delivering one great speech you stopped practicing.


With Baldwin Okello, Bukoto Toastmasters, runner up in the Evaluation contest

Confidence, another competency, comes from practice. The more you practice, the greater your confidence. Compare the day you learned to swim, to now.

Interpersonal communication. I have learned that when I move my faith, my need for validation disappears. Are you dancing everyone else’s dance, because you desire their validation? Move my faith. Learn your own dance. And remember, the people whose validation you seek, do not care about you at all.

 

The true leaders, honest in their journey, will never make you feel small, they will lift you and guide you. If anyone makes you feel like you do not deserve them, actually does not deserve you. Walk away. Strategic leadership. With Toastmasters, I learned how to lead with people who were so driven by their inflated egos that strategically, I decided to give them a platform where they would star in their own film, until they realized that the only audience was themselves and until they learned the lesson themselves that Toastmasters was not a stage with one spotlight, but it was a ray of different lights made up of individuals, clubs, divisions and the district.


My first mentor by choice, because the one assigned to me left Toastmasters after a while. My first mentor by choice in Toastmasters, was Philippa Nanyondo Byamah, who now heads Blue Hearts DFCU Toastmasters. She's firm, kind and encouraged me to reach my best, always guiding on the basics of Toastmasters until I firmed my grip.


Each time I receive an award  from the Distinuished Toastmaster award and others for my recognition, Philippa is amongst the first to cheer me on. I have had mentors whom, upon realizing my excellence, are threatened by my verve, brilliance and ability and in vain and futile effort, thwart opportunities. These type of mentors are insecure and I have learnt to veer from their energy.

 

I have also learned to stop saving people. Some people need to learn their lessons on their own. If you keep on saving people like a glorified baby-sitter, then your self esteem needs checking.

Maybe that’s why you’re stuck. You’re still holding the hand of someone who has relentlessly refused to budge. The best thing for you is to let them go. They will learn better when you let them go.

 

Each of us is more useful by doing three great things, than fifteen small things. You are dancing so many dances, instead of developing your own, that nobody even knows what you really stand for. You may justify it by declaring the Toastmasters promise but you also made a promise to yourself, a vow, to be the best. You cannot be the best, if you’re still wallowing with the rest.

 

Your talents, energy and God-given abilities, are resources for the main plan for your life. By saying yes to every single task, you are abandoning who you are.

I leave behind a team of notable leaders who shall manage the District newsletter, even more successfully that I ever did. To run the race, is to run forward.

Erik Erikson was an American German ego psychologist who developed one of the most popular and influential theories of development. While his theory was impacted by psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud's work. Erikson's theory centered on psychosocial development rather than psychosexual development.

Each stage of our lives, paves the way for periods of development. In each stage, Erikson believed people experience a conflict that serves as a turning point in development.

In Erikson's view, these conflicts are centered on either developing a psychological quality or failing to develop that quality. During these times, the potential for personal growth is high but so is the potential for failure. At each stage of your Toastmasters journey, are you developing or retrogressing? Maybe that’ s why you’re stuck and others are growing.  Become unstuck. Learn your dance.

If people successfully deal with the conflict, they emerge from the stage with psychological strengths that will serve them well for the rest of their lives.

Erikson also believed that a sense of competence motivates behaviours and actions. Each stage in Erikson's theory is concerned with becoming competent in an area of life.

Let us all at the stage of life we are in. I will represent this stage of Toastmasters. Have you mastered yourself enough and your journey here, enough to confidently say, “I have run the race?”

Next week, I will be dancing in Milan, addressing young professionals on the need to integrate art into the corporate space.

Next month, I shall receive an invitation from the UN Secretary General to deliver a keynote address on education and epistemics. Do you know why? It’s because I am dancing my dance and I thank Toastmasters for showing me the various tunes to my life, to make all that I desire, possible.

Thanks to our Division F Director, Jesse Ainebyoona, Agnes Tushabe the Conference Convenor, Ann Marie Nakimera the head of finance and admin, Joy Talemwa who ran the publicity, to the entire Division F Council, sponsors and all participants. Huge appreciation!


Toastmasters at the Uganda Conference, 2023.

All photos by Edgar Batte.


 

                                                   ***********





No comments:

Post a Comment