Monday 6 February 2023

It was on an ordinary morning in 1997; Pastor Gary the Legend

 It was on an ordinary morning in 1997.

I was in my senior six vacation, and I knew that I needed to speak to somebody about a few things that were troubling me. I needed someone sound, sincere and steadfast. I took a taxi to KPC, to meet Pastor Gary Skinner. We didn’t have an appointment.
The conversation was easy. I told him about my childhood, how I enjoyed the places we lived, my father who enabled us to have a splendid life given his work, and how a lot of that had changed. I spoke to him about how after becoming saved, I felt like my confidence had waned. I had stopped being as audacious, self-aware and outgoing as I used to be. I needed to understand the dissonance.
Why did I feel like I had lost my identity? I missed the old me, who was popular, brilliant at everything I set my mind to, (except cooking and sewing, at the time). I was Bev. What had happened! I felt I’d lost my confidence and cheerful attitude, two attributes that are central to who I am.
I needed to know if I truly understood who God was and where He was in my future. I wanted answers. I wasn’t a member of KPC. I don’t think I belonged to any particular church except the school fellowships, like many of us.
Pastor Gary listened intently and said,
“Beverley, you do not look like you have lost your confidence. You’re one of the most confident people to ever walk into my office. You speak well.”
I don’t remember the rest of what he said. I don’t even remember if he prayed for me.
What I do remember, is that Pastor Gary sees people. He sees you. He sees potential and harnesses it. His unwavering confidence in God and the systems created under KPC and Watoto, led him to disciple Pastor Rwotlonyo, who’s now the lead Pastor of Watoto.


Screenshot of the handover ceremony.


Screenshot of Pastor Rwot and Vernita


To witness a missionary establishment with enough confidence in God and the systems they have created in Uganda to enable another Ugandan to lead, is noteworthy.
I have helped to coordinate two children’s Cantatas under Watoto, worked at Power FM under KPC and while still there, taught Sunday school there for a number of years. Enough to know the tenacious spirit that goes into planning, under Marilyn and her team.
The fastidious strength of the leaders is admirable. Like any place, there are insurmountable challenges. At least we don’t read about any back stabbing or mud-slinging from insecure ‘opponents’ on social media. Whatever it is, they deal with it on the inside.
Admit it, we all learned something about leadership from the handover of Pastor Gary to Pastor Rwot and from Marilyn to Vernita. Yes, we did.
And those who may have borne grudges, been shrouded under misunderstandings, had to rethink.
I’m glad that Pastor Gary is writing a book, which many of us will be blessed by. I know that there will be continued growth and in a few decades when Pastor Rwot hands over, there will be another similar post.
Bless!
Beverley N Nsengiyunva

No comments:

Post a Comment