Wednesday 18 October 2023

Meeting Lupita Nyong'o, David Oyelowo and Respecting Actors

I like to watch the type of acting which creates so much tension that I am walking in and out of the room because  it is unbearable to sit through. If you watched the final match of World Cup 2022 between France and Argentina, then you'll know what I am talking about.

I like to observe cast members of a play, film or series who are able to interpret a script and create a reality that is palpable.




Beverley, Lupita Nyong'o, 2015 at Maisha Garden, Buziga Uganda, with the cast of 'Queen of Katwe'.

The first time I watched Lupita Nyong'o on television was on the Kenyan series, 'Shuga.' She showed such mastery on stage and looked spectacular while together with her fellow cast members, highlighted the lives of youthfulness, sex and the myriad of complexities in relationships.

I must have, at that time, probably for the 20th time in my life, cut my hair because of Lupita. Her acting impacted me so much that I followed the series and appreciated the dynamics and growing brilliance of the Kenyan film industry.

I have acted in school, church and during consultative work projects. Watching well developed television and theatre, I appreciate the massive effort that goes into scripting, editing, stage management, lighting, casting the right team, endless hours of back and forth, costume design and of course the enormous work of the actors who need to memorise their lines and embody their characters to perfection. 

Re-watching 'The Good Wife' has elevated my respect for good acting and the arduous hours that go into a seamless production.

Meeting Lupita with the rest of the crew of 'Queen of Katwe,' including the famous David Oyelowo, acting from a book whose hero Phiona Mutesi, has appeared in my poems, speeches and training sessions, was an honour. 

Phiona is a young lady whom I first met when she was in senior four, having just returned from the U.S where she played chess with Bill Gates and drew.

Her story is a highlight that depicts how despair and society's ills are not the end of our story; in fact they may be the chance for a great new beginning and rewriting.



Beverley with David Oyelowo, 2015 at Maisha Garden, Buziga-Uganda.

David Oyelowo who travelled with his family to Uganda in 2015, has a wealth of  fine acting under his belt, appearing in over 30 television shows, films and/or animations. He shared with us that he is deeply moved by the wealth and power of storytelling, and being given a chance to depict important life stories for millions of viewers across the world. Being a part of that was highly important in his career.

When I watch a good film with an equally impressive cast, I imagine myself as one of them, raising my right eyebrow and speaking fast without stuttering, wearing lipstick that never fades and high heels that never catch any dust. 

I imagine myself being able to cook a Sunday meal for ten within fifteen minutes, load the dishwasher afterwards and then complete a work proposal before swimming 50 laps in my backyard pool, because that is what good acting can do-achieve the impossible.

The moment in my life that I will savour though, is walking in New York City, Beverly Hills or  Las Vegas and bumping into an actor I highly respect. There will be no well-rehearsed speech, just gushes, hugs, selfies and unforgettable memories. That moment will come soon and I shall write about it then.

Respect actors. Respect writers. Respect art. and when you meet these creators, tell them what you think of their work. 

Bless!

Bev







No comments:

Post a Comment