Wednesday 25 October 2023

Should Protocol Bring Pain or Pleasure?

In 2014, First lady of South Africa, Grace Machel, visited Uganda upon the invitation of a network of business women. The ceremony was officiated at Sheraton Hotel and I was given the distinct pleasure of hosting said event.

Dressed in an African print dress, and after several planning meetings, I was fully prepared.

The room was well lit, adorned with business products from leading Ugandan women like Ukonika of Bella wines and lots of small businesses with their ware on display.

Festive. Dressed in economic seriousness. I liked it.



I had not taken into account the issue of protocol, though. Bring the First Lady, there was a significant delay due to protocols, where she had to include a visit to The State House, which was followed by security detail.

The business community, not anxious at all, displayed their products to guests and made a few purchases. I, on the other hand, was pacing.

As more and more security and high ranking officials walked into the rom, I knew that the event was about to officially start. On the programme, was the leading of National anthems, which is never a problem except now we had to sing both the Uganda national anthem and the South Africa one. The sound team was ready with both.

Protocol. Protocol.

Which anthem should come first?

One official dressed in camouflage introduced himself to me as the Head of Protocol and told me that the anthem of the visiting dignitary is always led first.

Another person from the organising team told me that on every occasion, the anthem of the hosting country always precedes any other. And there I was, confused.

Graca Machel walked in, with style, and a dignified gait. She was taller than I thought and resplendent in her suit.

I stared at her for a half minute too long, before holding the microphone and announcing that we would begin by singing the South Africa national anthem.

Even before the drums, trumpets nd vuvuzelas had a chance to make their sound, Grace Machel waved her hands in the air.

"No, No, please. It is always the anthem of the host country that begins."

And that was my lesson on protocol. When it comes to over the top tasks like leading national anthems, inviting people to dinner or for photographs, delegate those to the organising team or to members in charge of protocol. As an emcee, we should take care of the more important speaking tasks.


Bless!

Bev




No comments:

Post a Comment