Monday 18 March 2024

Playing

 Playing.


From ages 5 to 8, I was extremely shy in class and wouldn't say a word, until it came to sports and games.


That's when my powers, lit by the electrifying touch of the playground would surge through my veins.


I became The Incredible Bev.




Tearing off my outer clothes and showing my Cape, I'd fly across, charging with exuberance.


I see that happening a lot in Team Building.  The unassuming and inconspicuous participant suddenly flaps their wings and shocks everyone.


There's so much that can be learned from playing games.


Firstly, you learn that all the organisational strategic planning, social etiquette and lessons on self development diminish. Suddenly,  it's all about winning and everyone has their teeth in the game.


When divided in teams, members are quick to discern that the big office talkers are not necessarily the most agile.


People's competitiveness reaches its peak when they demand a rematch.


The stakes are high. Tempers flare.


People reorganise their teams. Winning is a must. Nothing else matters. They will roll in the dust, jump on balloons and run the three-legged race to win.


And that's when the highest form of team Building is seen. No need for a planning meeting. Just let them play games. Let them rehash their primary sports.


Playing.


So much can be learned. In order to win, to reach your goals, sometimes you have to get all hard and give it your all, poise and perfection aside.


Bless!


Beverley










No comments:

Post a Comment