Sunday 15 January 2023

Discipline is A Full Tank of Petrol, while Motivation is just a teaspoon of it

 

I worked as a weekday morning radio host from 2003 to 2005, on a Christian radio in Kampala, Power FM. I opened the station promptly at 6:00am every single weekday, during the two years that I worked there.



Naming the show, ‘Masters of The Dawn,’ I scripted my lines, ideas, nuggets and humorous punch lines. Sometimes I worked with a co-host and for a while, I worked alone. No matter which, I worked diligently and never missed a day, not even on Christmas. On Christmas of 2004, I actually hosted parents of children that were born on 25 December and gave the families gifts.

Working on radio requires a consistent dose of high energy, creative charisma and consistency. For the most part, motivation carries only 1% and for the 99%, you just need discipline. For me, being a highly motivated person, it is humbling to recognize that the inner butterflies that stir me to wake up Kampala City by 6:00am, reading the messages that validate my existence and hearing how I encouraged hundreds of people daily, was not enough. Discipline ruled the day.





You don’t need motivation to reach your goals, or to achieve your targets. You need discipline. It takes discipline to be creative and not just motivation. It takes discipline to be cheerful and encourage hundreds of people every day, and not motivation. Discipline is long-lasting, stronger and is free from emotional burdens.

Discipline got me to wake up before 5:30am, every weekday that I was on Power FM. The only week that I missed was when I went on leave to Kigali, in 2004. That was my first ever visit to the’ land of a thousand hills.’ I returned with stories of Rwanda, which coincided with the tenth anniversary of the genocide and the opening of the Rwanda Genocide memorial centre. Rwanda was an extension of whom I was born to become. I listened to stories of people around the towns, visited Butare National University and various restaurants. Rwanda was always an extension of my desire to travel around the world and to establish friends without borders.


Discipline carried me through the two years at Power FM, launching new programmes and learning and unlearning.

Fridays was the time for African Christian music. Mondays were job postings and cash prizes to be won. Everyday was something new, created by a consistent set of disciplinary standards.

We all want something this year, 2023. Try discipline. You’ll achieve it much faster than if you just rely on motivation.

 

Bless!

Beverley Nambozo Nsengiyunva

Speaker. Poet. Long-distance swimmer. Author.

Team Leader, Rich Diction Enterprises Ltd.

Founder, Babishai Niwe Poetry Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment