Sunday 21 August 2016

I'm Stwagawompshed; Life Can Actually Be Beautiful

In 2009,  on this date,  21 August,  we held our first BN Poetry Award ceremony. It was at Fang Fang Restaurant on the rooftop. About 200 guests were present to witness the first ever poetry award for Ugandan women.
Today is the seventh anniversary of that first BN award ceremony and Lillian Aujo pioneered the first win. 

The first award-giving dinner

While on radio on Power 104. 1 FM,  I hosted the morning show every weekday from 6:00am to 10:00am,  setting the pace for the day. I like to set the pace,  to give encouragement to the weary and to inspire youth. That has always been my motivation,  to encourage,  inspire and provide positive creative leadership.
Taking paths that are overgrown from disuse. My curiosity will take me there. If people say that there is no honest lawyer in the world,  then I want to be that honest lawyer.





With Esther Armah in Hargeysa


If certain people think that a woman should not be heading a festival and do everything to suggest that,  then I want to be the woman to not only organise a poetry festival but to tell every woman I know to start festivals in every corner of the world.

There's always a way. Last week,  I met a Ugandan retiree from the UN who made me believe that life can be beautiful. I'm meeting new people in new spaces. Old conversations that stuck to the status quo,  have been replaced with exuberance. This spirited,  candid and effervescent woman,  illustrated through intricate diagrams,  how life can actually be beautiful. All we have to do is begin from the core.

Add flesh to the skeleton
From 24th to 26th August in Kampala,  we'll be holding our second poetry festival at Maria's Place in Ntinda opposite Winifred Fashion Designs near Victory City Church. We'll be holding our award-giving dinner on Friday 26th August at Fang Fang Restaurant and this time General Okanga,  High Commissioner of Kenya to Uganda, is our Chief Guest.

I'm stwagawompshed. Life can actually be beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment