Monday 15 May 2023

The ‘My Fair Lady,’ that I want to remember.

It was disappointing to see that the ‘My Fair Lady’ cast at the Uganda National Cultural Centre /National Theatre, were human beings who hugged and took selfies. I needed them to remain in their roles on stage; with paranormal ability.  


With Simeon Lakuc Rugette, (Colonel Pickering)


After watching their performance, I needed time to remain still for just a minute longer. 


What a thrill to witness such outstanding theatre. Without a doubt, the cast and crew, who took on such a bold move to select a world classic and then produce it with such finesse and with a world class cast and crew of their own.  


This splendour was directed by Aganza Kisaka, founder of Yenze Theatre Conservatoire and produced by Karen Hasahya Kimuli and Della Kalanzi, who both assisted in directing. Both Karen and Della also run Timeless Events, an events management company in Kampala. 


Having taught ‘Pygmalion,’ the George Bernard Shaw play from which My Fair lady is derived and having watched the 1964 musical, starring Audrey Hepburn, I was more than eager to watch the play. More than that though, was the reputable team of directors, producers and cast. 


Musicals are an all-time favourite for me; and I will occasionally sing alone and imagine myself as one of the cast members.  


Tayo Shonubi shattered every ceiling in her way. Taking the lead as Eliza Doolittle, she immersed herself into her role and with every gesture and inflection delivered on point, she furthered her captivating ability by singing with such precision and power.  


Lwazi Diamond, who took the lead as Professor Henry Higgins, not only captured the magnitude, character and class representation of his role, he brought such magnificent physical and emotional energy onto the stage, that I couldn’t imagine him as anyone else but Professor Higgins. 


The cast complemented each other so well; the scene transitions were seamless, and the choreography fit the scenes well. The birds in their cages must be appreciated for their role, which speaks for the detail that was placed to make the production of ‘My Fair Lady,’ so exceptional and noteworthy. 


Simeon Rugette and Arfaan Bholim who played Colonel Pickering and Alfred Doolittle respectively, portrayed so much cleverness and skill on stage.


Mrs. Higgins, played by Dr. Denise Meya, had witty punch lines, which I will use for my own banter. 

There is so much to write about each character. There is so much to appreciate with the stage set up, costume design, music production, sound and lighting. The crew clearly put in tremendous effort to ensure that the play was as faultless as it could possibly be. 


All of the individuals, sponsors and friends who supported ‘My Fair Lady,’ deserve every accolade. 

Massive Congratulations to them on an immensely enjoyable and memorable production.  

 

 Review by Beverley Nambozo Nsengiyunva


No comments:

Post a Comment