Friday 26 May 2023

When The Stage Becomes Your Home

At the beginning of May, I wrote a list of hotels that I would want to host at; and a list of the type of people

whom I would want in the audience.







I then went on to behave as if I had received it. A week after that, I received a phone call from Grant Thornton, one of the largest professional services firms in Uganda offering a wide range of business advisory services in addition to audit, tax and business process solutions services.(Website)


This group of fine accountants and tax advisors wanted me to co-host at their twentieth anniversary

celebrations, combined with the launch of their Practical Skills Development Academy, at

Kampala Serena Hotel.


Before the first meeting, I dressed in my safe clothes; decent trousers and a coat. The Grant Thornton staff, led by Indian management, are so chill. Seriously, I had to keep reminding myself that they were accountants. True, they are busy with their laptops, and keep their office pristine, with precise corners added with plush furniture and hardware.


It was after several long planning meetings, broken by lunch breaks  in their enviable dining area

with both sumptuous Ugandan and Indian dishes, where everyone banters, relaxes and re-energises.

It was after these planning meetings that my co-host Lawrence and I finalized our preparations for the

huge celebration.


I have trained on how to be an effective and memorable emcee countless of times. Nothing however,

prepared me for this.



There was a sea of faces, and then Myko Ouma and Friends Band, the top tax-payers in the country,

which also meant the country's highest earners.



Yes, I know that I wrote it down for this to happen. My list was clear about that. I just was not aware

of the enormity and how close my dream was to reality. Actually, this was bigger than my dream.


Dressed in colours close to Grant Thornton’s brand, I dove right in.


It was like testing an Olympic size swimming pool at an actual Olympics Stadium. No matter how

many times you have swum, it will always feel different when you swim at an Olympics size

swimming pool at an actual Olympics stadium, even when you’re not there to compete.


The feeling starts at your ankles, travels up to your thighs, and while you’re in temporary paralysis,

you test the mic, produce a wan smile at the entertainers and walk to your position. 

By the time, your waist has now been jolted by this unfamiliar feeling. When it causes your chest to start knocking at your shoulders, you find your mouth opening and words spilling out.


Nothing prepared me for hosting at that event. It was massive. Magnificent. Mesmerizing.

I was immersed. 


Yes, this was what I wrote down; what I had believed for. I saw faces of C.E.Os whose companies

I used to walk quickly by, because I wasn’t appropriately dressed. And there they were, paying

attention to me.


Thankfully, I have not had impostor syndrome for many years now and I do not  practise fake

humility.


There- I truly belonged. I knew it. I had written it down. I was meant for huge stages. And more stages across the glove have already opened up.


I have been rehearsing for this moment. It came. I have been preparing for this moment. It came.

more moments and opportunities have come. This is part of what I do and I do it well. A speaker.

A host.

Filled with gratitude for the opportunity. Thankful for the many lessons on leadership from interacting with Grant Thornton staff. Grateful to Lawrence who recommended me and to the new people I have met, these past few weeks.

And yes-a number of positive remarks came my way. Accountants are actually cool people.


From me to you, see you at the next global event!

#dropsmic (pun intended)


Beverley Nambozo  Nsengiyunva

No comments:

Post a Comment