Tuesday 28 November 2023

A STORY CHASES YOU AND TERRORISES YOU UNTIL YOU WRITE IT-ZAZA MUCHEMWA

 Where do I begin?

Kampala International Theatre Festival totally ripped Kampala to shreds with their talent. I often fully immerse myself in art, I enjoy theatre and I like talking to new and established artists in every field.

What was different then, about KITF's tenth edition? 

I have participated several times before as a moderator and met many of their guests. This year was undeniably earth shattering. Everything was lit from the get go.

I don't know what was in the air but its infusion was an increasing chant from the worlds' greatest.

Being called to moderate the artists' conversation, I thought-how on earth am I going to moderate a conversation with ten or more of the most outstanding theatre practitioners, playwrights and musicians from the continent, with those from Germany, too?

I had only two hours to turn this into not just a conversation but into a memory. Moderation is about transference of spiritual connectivity and making memories. And that's what we did!


L-R Wanjiku Mwawuganga, Beverley, George Bwanika Seremba, Zaza Muchemwa, Kaya Kagimu.
(some of the artists in moderation) 
Photo by Wilhelm. 






Citizen Kane Kollektiv. Photo by Diamond Media


                            Max Sprenger and Beverley: Photo by Lwazi Diamond

While I had read the bios, and watched some of their performances online, nothing prepared me for the magnificence of their craft, their thought processes and their vulnerability. That's what separates artists.

They are able to change their vulnerability into strength, not by mind games or wellness camps but through churning their honesty and strength into an interaction with everyday people going through the same experience.

I will mention by name, each artist who was part of the discussion, because their words sent reality checks and beautiful thoughts into my system.

Citizen Kane Kollektiv-Max Sprenger, Christian Muller and Simon Kubat, Christine Mbabazi, Ssentumbwe Kabuuza, Wanjiku Mwawuganga, George Bwanika Seremba, Zaza Muchemwa, Kaya Kagimu and Ogutu Muraya. Ten in total.

Wearing their hearts, their passion and their future and past on their sleeves, they dove right in, treating me and the audience as if their were friends chatting by the fireside. 

A few quotes:

"A story chases you and terrorises you until you write it"-Zaza Muchemwa

"What is my why, when telling a story?"-Kaya Kagimu

"Artists should also be allowed to fail."- Ssentumwe Kabuuza

Whatever happens, always endeavour to attend Kampala International Theatre Festival-the organisers give their heart into every detail. They are highly meticulous, prepared and every single team member is willing to lend a hand to assist guests. Ndere Centre, too, with its picturesque environment, is ideal for a good old artists' weekend.

.....




No comments:

Post a Comment