Sunday 18 February 2024

Remembered After 24 years

 Yesterday, 17 February, after supporting a team of public speakers and leaders at a huge meeting under Toastmasters,  one young gentleman, a fine speaker, walked up to me.



"I remember you. You taught me at Makerere College School."

He remembered me after 24 years. A number of the students I taught would actually be in their 30s. Am I proud, or what? I am twirling in my teaching experience. My mentoring, coaching and training experiences and impact have extended beyond borders, an experience which a classroom designation would not have given me. 

And so, even though I have hardly spent time as an official classroom teacher, I have built a dream for myself and others.

For my Advanced level at high school, I studied at Makerere College School, one of the finest schools within Kampala City. I was appointed the Head girl too, from 1996.

After my first degree, during my student teacher practice, I opted to train from there. That was in the years 1999 and 2000.

And this gentleman remembered me. I am content, and curious to know  how my other former students are doing.

My first official teaching job was at Rainbow International School Kampala, in 2001. I taught for one year and that was my initial international teaching experience that thrust me into a diverse and exciting world.

For over 20 years, I've consulted,  having visited over 30 schools in Africa, training both students and teachers in public speaking, designing curricula,  supporting their poetry departments and debating clubs. 

In between,  I worked at a radio station for 2 years and an NGO for 2 years.

This has enabled me to remain constantly aware of my strengths and weaknesses, while building strong networks globally.

Here I am, February 2024. Ready for my year.

Beverley Nambozo Nsengiyunva

Kampala

No comments:

Post a Comment